Friday, August 2, 2013

Well I Guess We Live In Texas Now

Well, we finally got out of Dodge. [That was for you Ashley Chamberlin]
Remember all those times when you think to yourself, "I can't wait to get out of Provo (or whatever college town you were in)?". Well we finally really did get out of Provo, and while we were excited, we miss Provo too. Of course its one of those things when you realize all the things you love right as you leave. We have some great memories in Provo, and it will always hold a special place in our hearts. Thank you to all of our friends and family who made our experience there what it was.
And because we didn't want too much change all at once, we moved from one college town straight into another. Although this one is a much larger college, and a much larger town.

First impressions:
  • It's not nearly as po-dunk as we thought it would be. There are a lot of new looking shopping centers and lots of nice areas of town. And there is a great variety in the stores & restaurants that they have here. I was worried they wouldn't have like anything, but College Station has lots of great things! 
  • Sidewalks suck. Like worse than Provo. This place makes it look like Provo has the best sidewalks in the world (Erin Randall, you may be the only other person who understands this sidewalk issue). In Provo pretty much everywhere had sidewalks, but they weren't very wide and they were super uneven. I was always complaining about the sidewalks. Well here they just don't have sidewalks most of the time. And when they do they are super skinny. Gah. I'll just keep dreaming of finding better sidewalks someday. 
  • Its hot. Really hot. And even when I don't feel hot I'm still clammy. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever feel completely dry again. 
  • There are a lot of trucks. I've never seen so many pick-up trucks in my life. Half of the vehicles in every parking lot are trucks. It's insane. Oh, and a greater proportion of cars are nice cars here. Hardly see any clunkers. Even driving by a trailer park. 
  • There are so many Mexican food places. SOOOO MANY. You'd think that would be followed by, "And there are a lot of Mexicans too." But no, there are a lot of Asians. SOOOO MANY. Never lived by so many Asians in my life. 
  • Oh yea, people in the real world smoke, buy alcohol, and swear. Kind of forgot about that. 
  • People here are friendly. It took us going to Walmart like 6 or 7 times (I know, we went a lot at first) before no one made any animal noises at Enok the whole time. 
  • Our ward here is awesome. People were so friendly. I don't know why, but the church just feels different here, more sincere. I like it. 
Philip is really excited to be back in Texas. And I like it too. I think our family will really like it here. I do miss Provo and my friends there. And I wish I was closer to my family. But I think Texas will be good for us. Can't believe my baby boy is gonna grow up a Texan. Need to work on getting him to have an accent =D

No comments:

Post a Comment