It's definitely past time for a baby update! So here one is!
Pregnancy has gotten so much better during this second semester! The nausea and food aversions have almost completely disappeared, and some days I almost feel like a regular person! The fatigue has stuck around though.... and boy am I thankful that things have gotten better because I am doing my student teaching right now, so I need to feel good! I'm student teaching at Salem Jr. High and Emily (Stott) Gardner is my student teaching partner.... and I am so grateful to have Emily around because she acts like my crazy pregnancy symptoms are no biggie and she's my pregnancy guru (apparently you don't have to be pregnant to be an expert ;) ). And on a side note, I seriously love student teaching. Sure some kids drive me crazy, but overall they work hard, and boy are they funny.
So we were scheduled to find out the gender of our baby on October 4th..... but we ended up finding out this last Saturday because I got to join the kidney stone club! Friday night and Saturday morning I was having these terrible pains on my right side, like my body may have been imploding type of terrible, so after consulting with my doctor, Philip took me into the emergency room. At this point they were thinking it might be my appendix, so they did an ultrasound. During the ultrasound Philip asked the tech if he could tell us what the gender of our baby is, and so he showed us, and yep, its a boy! They couldn't see my appendix in the ultrasound, so I also got to do an MRI (which baby boy mistook as a techno dance party) in which they saw that my right kidney was inflamed, suggesting that it had just passed kidney stones. Sooooo bad news is kidney stones plus many hours and lots of dollars at the hospital, good news is we have a happy and healthy baby boy!
Now for just about anyone who has talked to me during this pregnancy, you are probably shocked that I sound so happy at the prospect of having a baby boy.... It is true, I did want to have a girl first, in my experience (which many people tell me that their experience is different), girls are easier, and if a girl is the oldest of her siblings she will pretty much turn into a super helpful, kind, and overall wonderful human being (I have 6 nieces who are oldest to prove this). So yes, I wanted a girl first. Plus, we already had a girl name picked out, not so for the boy. But I should have known that I would be doomed to have a boy first, please, how did I miss these signs:
But you know why I am so excited to have a boy first? Because if God wants to prove me wrong and show me that having a boy first can be the most wonderful thing that ever did happen, I'll gladly let Him. But let's not push it and have a boy be second too........
More pregnancy pictures to come soon! And you get a gold star if you actually just read this whole post!
Pregnancy has gotten so much better during this second semester! The nausea and food aversions have almost completely disappeared, and some days I almost feel like a regular person! The fatigue has stuck around though.... and boy am I thankful that things have gotten better because I am doing my student teaching right now, so I need to feel good! I'm student teaching at Salem Jr. High and Emily (Stott) Gardner is my student teaching partner.... and I am so grateful to have Emily around because she acts like my crazy pregnancy symptoms are no biggie and she's my pregnancy guru (apparently you don't have to be pregnant to be an expert ;) ). And on a side note, I seriously love student teaching. Sure some kids drive me crazy, but overall they work hard, and boy are they funny.
So we were scheduled to find out the gender of our baby on October 4th..... but we ended up finding out this last Saturday because I got to join the kidney stone club! Friday night and Saturday morning I was having these terrible pains on my right side, like my body may have been imploding type of terrible, so after consulting with my doctor, Philip took me into the emergency room. At this point they were thinking it might be my appendix, so they did an ultrasound. During the ultrasound Philip asked the tech if he could tell us what the gender of our baby is, and so he showed us, and yep, its a boy! They couldn't see my appendix in the ultrasound, so I also got to do an MRI (which baby boy mistook as a techno dance party) in which they saw that my right kidney was inflamed, suggesting that it had just passed kidney stones. Sooooo bad news is kidney stones plus many hours and lots of dollars at the hospital, good news is we have a happy and healthy baby boy!
Now for just about anyone who has talked to me during this pregnancy, you are probably shocked that I sound so happy at the prospect of having a baby boy.... It is true, I did want to have a girl first, in my experience (which many people tell me that their experience is different), girls are easier, and if a girl is the oldest of her siblings she will pretty much turn into a super helpful, kind, and overall wonderful human being (I have 6 nieces who are oldest to prove this). So yes, I wanted a girl first. Plus, we already had a girl name picked out, not so for the boy. But I should have known that I would be doomed to have a boy first, please, how did I miss these signs:
- Since we will have a boy first, it makes it so that 5 of Philip's siblings will have had a girl first, and 5 will have had a boy first, let's keep things even folks
- I wanted a girl too much, and planned for one too early - getting what I need, not what I want
- Soon to be grandma Opal went and picked out a boy outfit the day after I told her at six weeks (it's the one pictured above)... I've always heard that somehow grandma's just know things
- Philip's sister Susan gave us boy bedding before baby was ever seen
- Baby's future room has disgusting green carpet that would have no chance of looking cute in a girls room, but with a boy it might just be possible to pull it off
- More boys will need a momma like me to whip them into men, and a daddy like Philip to lead by example (I probably will raise better sons than I do daughters... but I guess we'll see)
- 90% of the pregnant women I know are having girls, someone has to have a boy, and the options for who that would be were running out
- I always get kind of stressed when I see how cute people make their baby girls (with dresses and headbands and bows) and I don't know if I can muster the patience for that, and with a boy, I don't have to worry about it, stress level decreased
- Out of our nieces and nephews on Philip's side, there are 22 boys and 13 girls, 63% are boys, clearly a trend
- My chromosomes had no choice in the matter, and Philip wanted a boy, so a boy we will have
But you know why I am so excited to have a boy first? Because if God wants to prove me wrong and show me that having a boy first can be the most wonderful thing that ever did happen, I'll gladly let Him. But let's not push it and have a boy be second too........
More pregnancy pictures to come soon! And you get a gold star if you actually just read this whole post!
Wahoo! I always love updates:) This update makes me happy because I knew all along! You will both make great parents. The Lord definitely gives what you need and what you can handle. <3
ReplyDeleteThat's so exciting Jen! I liked being caught up more in your life. Being pregnant is fun....especially being pregnant and student teaching. ;)
ReplyDeleteWoo! Shout out!! Haha. I LOVE that you are pregnant and I can ask you the weirdest questions in the world and I get to see you go through this process. And that you know I'm not a creep for saying all that. Student teaching has been great and I'm so glad we're partners!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting! Student teaching and being pregnant sounds tough enough without the kidney stone drama! Hang in there. Before you know it, you'll have a beautiful baby boy in your arms and you'll be too tired to care about the yucky green carpet! :)
ReplyDeletesharleen