Sunday, August 28, 2011

If Jesus Came to Visit

I don't know who wrote this poem, but I heard it in church today and thought I would share. It is a beautiful poem that reminds one to evaluate their life and surroundings and think of what they can do to be closer to God.

If Jesus came to your house
To spend some time with you,
If He came unexpected,
I wonder what you'd do.

Oh, I know you'd give your nicest room
To such an honored guest
And all the food you'd give to Him
Would be the very best.

And you would keep assuring Him
You're glad to have Him there--
That serving Him in your home
Is joy beyond compare.

But when you saw Him coming,
Would you meet Him at the door
With arms outstretched in welcome
To your heavenly visitor?

Or would you have to change your clothes
Before you let Him in
Or hide some magazines
And put the Bible where they'd been

Would you hid your worldly music
And put some hymnbooks out?
Could you let Jesus walk right in,
Or would you rush about?

And I wonder if the Savior
Spend a day or two with you,
Would you go right on doing
The things you always do?

Would you go right on saying
The things you always say?
Or would life for you continue
as it does from day to day?

Would you take Jesus with you
Everywhere you go?
Or would you maybe change your plans
For just a day or so?

Would you be glad to have Him
Meet your closest friends?
Or would you hope they stay away,
Until Hist visit ends?

Would you be glad to have Him
Stay forever on?
Or would you sigh with great relief
When He at last was gone?

It might be interesting to know,
The things that you would do,
If Jesus came in person,
To spend some time with you.

2 comments:

  1. I totally, 100 percent love this poem. It keeps life in perspective and reminds you about what's truly important. I might steal it from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since we are on the subject, I also heard this poem at church today and loved it too:
    This poem is by C. C. Miller and it is titled “The Echo":

    ’Twas a sheep not a lamb
    That strayed away in the parable Jesus told,
    A grown-up sheep that strayed away
    From the ninety and nine in the fold.
    And why for the sheep should we seek
    And earnestly hope and pray?
    Because there is danger when sheep go wrong:
    They lead the lambs astray.
    Lambs will follow the sheep, you know,
    Wherever the sheep may stray.
    When sheep go wrong,
    It won’t take long till the lambs are as wrong as they.
    And so with the sheep we earnestly plead
    For the sake of the lambs today,
    For when the sheep are lost
    What a terrible cost
    The lambs will have to pay.

    ReplyDelete