Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sometimes a Hammer Works Best: Christmas Goodies!

Like most everyone, I too am a Christmas lover! I love how everyone's thoughts turn more to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. I love that God's love is spread around so abundantly. I love how everyone serves each other just a little bit more. I love how family and friends gather together. I love Christmas decorations. I semi-love Christmas music (some of it is too cheesy, but hymns and things like that are really beautiful). I love Christmas programs. I love white elephant gift exchanges. And finally, I love Christmas goodies.
Pathetically, when I think of Christmas, one of the first things I think of is the candy that is so prominent during the Christmas season. I love peanut brittle, anything chocolate, caramels, anything peppermint, and basically anything with sugar. And it is so fun to make Christmas candy!!! I took a food class this semester, and in it we made lots of yummy food. One of our last labs was candy making, and it was awesome! My kitchen made lollipops and caramelized candy nuts. Another kitchen made peppermint bark. I love peppermint bark, so I made it at home the next week. It is super easy and delicious! Well, it was mostly easy.... breaking the peppermint candies was not easy (I recommend using thin candy canes, not round peppermint candies. Candy canes would have been easier to smash). After unsuccessfully trying to break the candies with a rolling pin, we resorted to the hammer. For the next 15 minutes I swung away at the poor helpless, yet nearly indestructible, peppermint candies. My apologies to the upstairs neighbors, it was quite loud. But after some perseverance, they were ready to be mixed in the smooth and scrumptious melted white chocolate. It was like magic. Let the hot melted peppermint bark dry on wax paper for an hour, and poof, a delectable Christmas treat!


These are some cute lollipops I made in my food class. Blueberry and Watermelon!


Yes, sometimes a hammer does work best. We weren't messin' around!


Sooooo good!

Of course I enjoy all of the other food that makes a special (or perhaps just more prominent) appearance at Christmas time. One of these is pie. Pumpkin is my favorite, and although I'm not crazy for apple pie (it is slowly becoming an acquired taste) it sure is easy to make! My last food lab was to make an apple pie, so I did. And if I say so myself, it is a beautiful apple pie! And it was yummy too! Philip will vouch for this you non-believers!


My food lab apple pie with the pretty lattice top! This was before baking, that is why it is a little pasty white.

Now, until today, this was only the second apple pie I have ever made, or helped to make, in my entire life. Well today, that number went up by about 28. Philip and I are in Texas for Christmas break. And today we were at the Trythall's, his oldest sister's family, cleaning up the shed for the Texas Christmas hoedown (yes it will be epic) next week. While doing this we were invited to participate in a Dan and Amy Trythall tradition. Every year they make dozens (last year they made 50!) of apple pies for friends. Today was pie day, and since they asked, we joined in and helped! Philip used an apple slicer to prepare around 85 apples for the filling, while I helped make the pie crusts and made the topping for every single pie. Dan (brother in-law) prepared the other 85 apples, Kennedy (niece, 10 yrs old) mixed the filling ingredients with the apples and poured it into the crust, and Amy formed the pretty crusts. It was a monotonous adventure, but a fun one too! And boy, that pie was yummy! (It was also really yummy to just steal a few apple pieces that had been mixed in the filling before being cooked.... so good!)


Philip's workspace (should've seen the floor...)


Apple peel pasta :)


The sugar, flour, and kitchen aid mixer were my constant companions this afternoon/evening!


Yummy Apple Pies!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I bet Philip loves that you took a food class! How fun. BTW, I have made several pies and none of them have looked as pretty as yours!

    ReplyDelete